If I had to eat one dish day after day, it would be soup.
With St. Patrick’s Day approaching, I’ve been thinking about ways to integrate the holiday into a delicious soup and today does just that.
Irish beer cheese soup – delish! Get the recipe below!
St. Patrick’s Day Irish Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion – chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 (12 oz) Harp Premium Imported Irish Lager
- 14 oz sharp cheddar cheese – shredded
- 14 oz cream cheese – cubed, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- dash hot sauce (or more depending on taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- bacon bits and scallions, for garnish
1. Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent. Add flour to the onions and cook for an additional minute.
2. Transfer the onion and garlic mixture to a food processor. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth and purée until smooth.
3. Pour the purée into a Dutch oven. Add the rest of the chicken broth and the lager. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add the cream cheese and shredded cheese. Whisk until melted.
5. Add the mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Stir to incorporate. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with bacon bits and scallions.
TIP: This makes an excellent cheese dip for pretzels, also!